Park DLC problem

Give us your feedback, bring up your suggestions or help us make the game better by reporting any bugs.

Park DLC problem

Postby john » April 12th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I can only play on the park location/level when I use the accompanying chess pieces that were bought with it. If you could fix it so I can use all chess pieces in all locations it'd be helpful. I assume you plan to introduce more DLC in the future and I can only say it'd be frustating if none of it can be mixed and matched (locations and chess pieces).

Also - Being able to change the chess board and make it random seperate of the scenery (museum, etc) would be nice. I'd also like to see some plain black and white chess pieces soon, preferrably frosted glass variants.
john

Re: Park DLC problem

Postby Nihonzaru » April 14th, 2012, 2:57 pm

I totally agree with John
I initially came to the forum to report a bug with the Park pack DLC as I could not select the park location. Only after reading this post did I realize that i had to choose the animal pieces set to be able to select the park location. That does not seem right...
Great job otherwise !
Nihonzaru

Postby John_VF » April 14th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Hi guys,

The DLC was designed to be released as a 'themed set' - encompassing new pieces, a new board and location. It will never be possible to completely mix and match any future DLC set with any other environment.

There's potential for us to release all sorts of different sets. We can't always guarantee the different elements will stylistically match and although there's admittedly potential for some fun with that, there are also too many complications for it to be a viable option. A themed set allows us to create something visually coherent.

Imagine if we released a dark/adult themed piece set/board/location and then followed up with something aimed specifically at kids. They'd hardly work together would they!
John_VF

Postby john » April 14th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Given aesthetics can't be anything more than subjective, and therefore opinion, then I think it should be at the sole discretion of the buyer of such content to decide what goes together and what doesn't. If something doesn't match visually then the user can just spend 10 seconds changing it. I don't see what the problem is with that?

I have to say, I was really looking forward to a dedicated chess title hitting PS3, but I've been left disapointed more than anything else so far. At the very least you could easily have one plain, standard, black & white chess piece set that couldn't clash with any other visual motif to select on any DLC scenario/level.

"Imagine if we released a dark/adult themed piece set/board/location and then followed up with something aimed specifically at kids. They'd hardly work together would they!" This sounds like a non sequitur and a bit of a cop out, guys. Unless you don't know how to or are unable program such a feature because it's buggy and clashes, then I don't see why we can't choose what we want for ourselves. It actually seems patronising to suggest otherwise :(
john

Postby slick555 » May 4th, 2012, 12:27 am

john wrote:"Imagine if we released a dark/adult themed piece set/board/location and then followed up with something aimed specifically at kids. They'd hardly work together would they!" This sounds like a non sequitur and a bit of a cop out, guys. Unless you don't know how to or are unable program such a feature because it's buggy and clashes, then I don't see why we can't choose what we want for ourselves. It actually seems patronising to suggest otherwise :(

Piercing logic. There would be nothing wrong with using, say, Williams pieces in the Park. Or Lewis pieces in the museum.

John_VF wrote:It will never be possible to completely mix and match any future DLC set with any other environment.

Nice, at least now I know not to buy the DLC. Thanks for the heads-up.
slick555

Postby wizard » November 23rd, 2012, 4:12 am

Bummer!
I too was hoping to mix and match some. Romans on the Forest board perhaps. (though the forest with its old celtic looking things is really cool as it is, my favorit :) )

Would it be possible in theory for other types of DLC's apart from these "themed sets" to work with the basic boards and pieces. Like say if you released a board only dlc made to work with the original pieces, or a pieces dlc made to work with the original boards?

edit:

scrap that last part. I just read in the FAQ that thats precicely how you already do it lol.
It's all in the hat!
wizard

Return to Feedback, Suggestions & Bugs